It is assumed that the woman
- Resides in the main business city of the economy being examined.
- Has reached the legal age of majority and is capable of making decisions as an adult; if there is no legal age of majority, the woman is assumed to be 30 years old.
- Is sane, competent, in good health and has no criminal record.
- Is a lawful citizen of the economy examined.
- Where the question assumes the woman or man is married, the marriage is monogamous and registered with the authorities.
- Where the question assumes the woman or man is unmarried, she or he has never been married.
Answers to the questions are based on codified law and not how that law is applied in practice. Therefore, customary law is not taken into account unless it has been codified. Questions on the status of customary law within the legal system refer to its existence and position within the hierarchy of legislation but do not assess its content. Reciprocal restrictions that govern the conduct of both spouses are not covered; this indicator measures only restrictions that govern the conduct of the wife, but not the husband.